Root planing and scaling is a useful restorative procedure option if you are suffering from periodontal disease. These procedures are used to thoroughly clean the teeth all the way down to the tooth roots beneath the gum line. These procedures can help you regain good dental health. Our dentists at Aero Dentistry have given all the details about scaling and root planing in this blog.
What Is Scaling & Root Planing?
The root planing and scaling procedure are quite useful in the treatment of mild to severe gum disease, especially when pockets have formed between the teeth and gums. These procedures are usually performed by your San Diego dentist to remove whatever has accumulated in the periodontal pockets. Cleaning them can stop the spread of the infection further.
How Is The Procedure Performed?
Wondering what to expect from your scaling and root planing procedure? Your favorite dentist in San Diego has provided a step-by-step guide to the entire procedure.
- At first, the gums are numbed to ensure that the patient feels minimal pain.
- Following that special scraping instruments are used to remove excess tartar from the gumline.
- A metal dental scraping device is used to delicately detail and clean the teeth while an ultrasonic instrument is used to remove large particles of dirt.
- Your San Diego dentist will also use a water irrigation system at the same time to wash away the dirt as it is being removed. A suction tool is also used to get rid of water and saliva.
- In the case of big gum pockets, antibiotic fibers are used to prevent the occurrence of infection. Your dentist in San Diego will, however, remove it after 1 week when your gum has healed completely
What Are The Benefits Of Scaling & Root Planing?
There are several oral health benefits of this procedure. Our dentists have listed a list of advantages of this procedure for your better understanding.
Gets Rid Of Halitosis
Chronic bad breath can be caused by periodontitis and other oral health issues such as tooth decay. This dental treatment can help to relieve bad breath by managing gum infection
Prevents Tooth Decay
Plaque and tartar buildup is removed during this dental procedure, which helps to avoid dental decay and gum pockets.
Provides Protection To Your Tooth Roots
When damaging plaque and bacteria begin to accumulate below the gum line, root planing and scaling can help shield the roots of your teeth. They will protect the roots from any infection and thereby stop the spread of the disease.
No More Tooth Loss
Periodontal disease is one of the leading causes of tooth loss. This procedure can stop these gum infections and hence prevent any sort of tooth loss.
Stops Gum Infection
This dental procedure is a safe and effective treatment for gum disease that can help improve the health of your gums to a great extent. Are you suffering from periodontal disease too? Get a root planing and scaling procedure done today!
We hope this blog has helped you to understand everything about this procedure. Get in touch with us at Aero Dentistry if you are looking for the best scaling and root planing treatment in San Diego, CA.